photo 25e14650-b8aa-478c-8eb6-4ff9b84f9500_zps11748770.jpg

Monday, October 29, 2012

Women Food and God

The other day, I was browsing in Barnes and Noble (I could stay in there for hours) when a title of a book caught my eye. It read, in all caps, WOMEN FOOD AND GOD. I am not going to lie, at first I laughed, out loud. I honestly think I laughed, because I knew it was screaming my name. As I picked it up, I read in smaller letters 'the tyranny of fear and hopelessness around their bodies'. Before I knew it I was reading over the first few pages and completely enraptured!

I sat down that night and found time to be soaked in by the words.

WOMEN FOOD AND GOD is a nonfiction by Geneen Roth. She shares with you her weight struggles and eating habits, and how it is connected to our relationship with God. She also gives you accounts from her life-changing retreats. These retreats are for women who battle compulsive eating, whether it is eating all the time or not at all, or fall to food for comfort.

I have not finished the book yet. I can already tell you, women, it is a must read.

No, I have never struggled with being overweight. However, I have caught myself going to food for comfort, to fill a void. What am I truly hungry for? I have come to realize, it is everything but food.

A great challenge for myself since I started the book, is to consciously ask when I grab something to eat, "Why am I eating this?... Is it because I am honestly hungry? Am I worried or stressed?"

What I discovered this week, is that I am going more to Him than food. During those moments of weakness, I pray. I pray that He fills that void, that I once before thought food could. Food cannot cover the pain....

I think some of us eat the way we eat, because we do not want to feel the way we truly feel.

When we face the turmoil going on inside instead of pushing it deeper inside the obsession will end. Also, I discovered when you love yourself enough you will stop hurting yourself. Do I not want to take care of what I love?

I love what Geneen says, “What you pay attention to grows."

If we are constantly paying attention to food, well, you make the conclusion...Now replace food with God. Can you imagine how beautiful life could be?

I am going to leave you with this..
“And.. are you willing to go all the way? To understand that food is only a stand-in for love and possibility and spirit? Because if you aren't, you will get caught up in obsessing for the rest of your life. But if you are willing, then the portal to what you say you want is truly on your plate.” --Geneen Roth

This is not going to be my only post on this book..many more thoughts to come.

Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."

"Everything Falls" Fee ...This song has given me comfort, a beautiful reminder He is always there.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment