photo 25e14650-b8aa-478c-8eb6-4ff9b84f9500_zps11748770.jpg

Thursday, October 11, 2012

People Pleasing

I cannot even tell you how many times I have been told I am a people pleaser. Let us just say if I had a penny for every time I would not be sitting in a real estate office...but flying my own plane all over the world.

I would like to say I don't care what people think, but I do. And I discovered I am a 'word of affirmation' person, hearing encouragement or praise lifts me up. How do you get those words, through pleasing others of course. I used to think people pleasing was an admirable quality...well it just depends on WHO you are trying to please.

Growing up I wanted to please my parents by excelling in school, going to college and even choosing the career that would make them proud. I tried to please so much I would get emotional when I didn't come through, it began to wear on me.  I had pushed myself to the point of exhaustion, constantly trying to please my family and friends. I wanted to be superwoman, be on the A Honor Roll, be involved in extracurricular activities and super involved in the youth group.  At the time I was in the role of President of the National Honor Society and the Stundent Council, involved in church and I knew that I couldn't do everything. I was devastated that I would have to step down. I was so worried about disappointing my parents, my peers, the student coucil. I'll never forget the conversation my mother and I had one day while driving out of the school parking lot.

I told her what I would have to do tearfully. Her reply is as vivid as ever,       "Aeron you only have one person to please, that's God. Do not worry about pleasing your friends, or your dad and me for that matter! If you feel you are always doing what is pleasing to God, even if it's not pleasing to others, you have zero worries. Let it go.".      

Now that I look back on the situation, it seems petty to feel like you're disappointing people over some high school student council, I know...but you have no idea how seriously I took/take pleasing people...and myself. And that silly moment has stuck with me.

I know we all tend to care what others think and seek for their acceptance. We can catch ourselves being caught up in doing so much for others that we leave little time for God in return. Now I want to let you know Paul talks about pleasing people to his Roman readers in chapter 15:1-13. One of my favorite verses that I constantly remind myself is in verse 3 "Romans 15:1-3 "We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. 3 For even Christ did not please himself but...”Wake up call...this stepped on my toesies.

We have to remember if we have a choice between pleasing ourselves or others, choose others. If we have a choice between pleasing God or others, pleasing others is wrong. Our ambition as christians should be to please God.

It is a daily struggle...

Galations 1:10 "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. "

"Lose My Soul" Toby Mac

 

No comments:

Post a Comment