photo 25e14650-b8aa-478c-8eb6-4ff9b84f9500_zps11748770.jpg

Friday, October 19, 2012

Running in The Dark (Part 1 of 2)

I realized two things this morning...
One, I get the best ideas for my blog while running, which leads me to... Two, I need to carry pen and paper on my runs. I dislike having a great idea, then when you go two write it down, you draw a blank! Fortunately, I was able to jot down pieces of my thoughts after arriving back at the house.

I detest this time of year for a few reasons. The days grow short, sunlight is scarce, and it leaves me little time for a nice, long run. Lately, it has been pitch dark during my morning runs. I finally discovered this handy little app, a flashlight!

I was trotting along this morning when I discovered a big pothole! Luckily, I had my handy, dandy flashlight. Being completely ready for the hole, I hurdled right over it...whew, thank you flashlight! Then a light when off. (No pun intended.) I had discovered my next blog.

What if I hadn't carried my light? I would have broke an ankle landing in that monstrous pothole!

Another thought I had is, even though I have the light, it still doesn't prevent an animal from running out in front of me (silly little skunk). In life, we can be strolling right along with our relationship with God, but things are still thrown are way, right? God doesn't say life is going to be easy, but he does promise he will be our light in the dark....

Dueteronomy 31:5-6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
I could also choose to run, in the dark, without a light. I have done it before. My eyes would just 'adjust' to the darkness. Unfortunately, it got me knowhere fast. I might be running along fine, but when I hit that pothole I fall... because I have no light. I realized I was much more comforted and it was easier carrying the light. And having the light keeps me aware of what lies the dark.

I decided to take a different route than intended this morning, a more unfamiliar, longer route. I had my light, but still feared going down this unknown path and quite unsure if I could make it. I had this serious fear that something or someone was going to jump out and get me. I have also grown comfortable to my other route, I don't fear it because it is familiar territory.... Sometimes God leads us down different paths, and perhaps more difficult than the path we were strolling along before. It may be challenging, but maybe if we went a different route, the route we chose we wouldn't be prepared for what could jump out infront of us.

I am always thrilled to see a vehicle driving down the road during a dark run. "Light!" I think. "Come share your light with me, I need it!" God understands we need other people to help us along our journey. Isn't it always easier when a friend is there for you during hard times. Instead of just having one light to shine my path, having several can light up the whole road!

It is funny to realize I run tremendously faster in the dark. I am anxious to get out of the dark and back home, my pace quickens. I recall the verse from Romans 5:3-4 "we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character". It could be that if I never would have ran in the dark, I would never know how fast or how long I can truly run....

I love that the sun comes up right as I'm arriving home. I think "Really God? I would have appreciated this light an hour ago!"

Then I laugh, because not audibly, but I know it's him... he replies "I KNOW you can run through the darkness Aeron, because you carry my light with you.."



Pslam 27:1 "The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?"

"Light Up The Sky" The Afters



No comments:

Post a Comment