photo 25e14650-b8aa-478c-8eb6-4ff9b84f9500_zps11748770.jpg

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Only Comfort I Can Give


As I sat there, in the hotel room with my friend who was suffering unbearable pain, I was at a loss for words. All I wanted to do was take away the pain. But I truly know I cannot do it, not alone at least. I alone cannot provide the comfort that He can.

I would not say life has been rainbows and butterflies, but I have been fortunate to not know the feeling of losing someone close to me, especially a parent.

Friday when I got the news that my sweet friend's dear father had passed, unexpectedly, I might add..was crushing. I was completely and utterly heartbroken.

Coincidently and devastatingly that is my second friend to lose their dad in a two month span...almost to date.

...and this special friend, also lost her grandfather, exactly three weeks ago.

That is when I start to ask, why God?!

I know life isn't easy, but I wished with all my being, I could soak up the pain for her. I would almost rather be hurting myself, than WATCH a friend suffer.

I feel tested.

How do I give comfort.

In these times of trials. I am learning.
.....

I am learning a hug or the holding of a hand is much more comforting than words.
I am learning that the small, petty things I worry about day to day, do not matter.
I am learning to live life one day at a time.
I am learning to cherish moments with my family and friends.
...and I am learning that life on earth is not forever. It happens in a blink.

They, (our loved ones) are in such a more glorious place, while we sit in this waiting room.

I am selfish.
I do not deny this unfortunate truth.

I want my family and friends here, with me. I want to share sweet memories with them. I want them to be apart of all the little moments. I do not want God to have them too soon.
That is just the nitty gritty truth, folks...

These are the times that test us all. We cannot run from it.

But never fail, He is with us. He is the light in the dark. He is our comforter. He IS the father to the fatherless.

I know God makes it clear, life is not easy. It was clear this weekend.
He does assure us He will be right there beside us, holding our hand through it all.

That is the comfort I can give you.
 
 
Psalm 34:18The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment